Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica
Sciatica can be a very painful condition. It is also immobilizing, causing a halt to what were normal daily activities. A skilled chiropractor can help relieve the pain from sciatica and help you to recover. Dr. Bayless and Dr. Griffin at Santa Cruz NonForce Chiropractors in Santa Cruz and Los Gatos, CA, are skilled chiropractors trained in sciatica relief.
What Causes Sciatica?
The sciatic nerve is the main nerve that innervates your lower extremities. It departs your spine in the lower back, splits into two branches, and travels through the hips and buttocks, and down each leg. When pressure is put against the sciatic nerve, pain, inflammation, and muscle weakness is caused along the path of the nerve.
Sciatica can be caused by a dislocated vertebra, a herniated disc, inflammation due to an injury, a bone spur, hips out of alignment, some sort of repetitive motion injury, or a lesion growing on your spine.
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
- Pain that radiates from lower back, through the buttocks, and down back of a leg
- Shooting pain when trying to stand
- Hip pain
- Muscle weakness in buttocks and leg
- Numbness or tingling in leg and/or foot
- Usually only affects one side
Treatment for Sciatica
Treatment for your sciatica is determined by its cause. Instead of just treating the pain with medication, your chiropractor will locate the source cause of your pain and work to correct it.
- Lesion: If a lesion is growing against your sciatic nerve, you will most likely be referred to a medical doctor for treatment.
- Bone spurs: Targeted exercises, physical therapy techniques, and chiropractic adjustments are known to alleviate the pain associated with bone spurs.
- Herniated disc: The disc is gently nudged back into its normal position, relieving the pressure from the sciatic nerve.
- Dislocated vertebrae: The misaligned vertebra is worked back into alignment. Exercises to strengthen the muscles and connective tissues associated with the vertebra are conducted.
- Hips: Your hips will be checked for proper alignment. If they are misaligned, they can be worked back into their proper position. Exercises to strengthen the muscles holding the hips in place will need to be performed.
- Muscle injury: An injured muscle can cause it to become tense and constrict around the sciatic nerve. An injury may also cause inflammation. Massage therapy, physical therapy, electrical muscle stimulation, and ultra sound are all good treatments employed by a chiropractor to help muscles to relax. These treatments also stimulate blood flow to the area and support natural body healing.
- Inflammation: Inflammation may be associated with any of the above causes of sciatica in addition to being the lone cause. Treatments such as massage therapy and ultrasound will help to relief the inflammation.
Complete Sciatica Examination and Treatment Alternatives
Your chiropractor will do a complete musculoskeletal examination to determine the cause of your sciatica. She will then discuss treatment options with you. At Santa Cruz NonForce Chiropractors in Santa Cruz and Los Gatos, CA, we use directional non-force chiropractic techniques to solve your sciatica and other issues. Call us today at 831-458-1940 to setup a consultation and comprehensive examination to relieve you of your pain.